In- Service Support Engineer (Part Time, Flexible Hours)
Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems
Purpose of Role
Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems (CSS) has an exciting opportunity for an engineer seeking a new challenge. You will be responsible for supporting CSS’s signature measurement and ranging products in service, ensuring our customers are able to achieve mission success 24/7/365, anywhere in the world.
You will be a key member of the technical team, responsible for providing advice and expertise on the resolution of technical issues to our customers. You will enact procedures that ensure our equipment remains safe and suitable for continued service through its planned lifetime, working closely alongside both our design and field services teams.
No two days at Ultra are the same, and you will have the opportunity to develop your knowledge of signature measurement and ranging technologies and techniques during a time of unprecedented growth, driven by the proliferation of underwater threats around the world.
Working Pattern and Flexible Arrangements
This role is being offered on a part-time (20-25 hours per week, negotiable) and flexible basis. A range of working patterns can be accommodated, including late start/early finish (e.g. to accommodate school runs) or a compressed working week. Home working options are also available, although an initial period in the office to become familiar with the equipment and establish a relationship with the team will be required.
This role would be ideally suited to engineers seeking to return to the field after a career break, or those seeking an improved work-life balance by reducing to part time.
Working as a key member of our engineering office for our portfolio of signature measurement and ranging products, you will be responsible for:
- Investigation of technical issues, including customer fault reports and technical queries, conducting root cause analysis and recommending design changes to resolve systematic faults.
- Monitoring in-service equipment spares and managing provisioning and supply support to our MOD customer.
- Working closely with the design team to develop solutions that are technically and commercially acceptable and supportable throughout the equipment design life.
- Supporting obsolescence monitoring and identifying replacement equipment where required.
- Writing technical reports and test procedures.
- Providing technical advice via e-mail and telephone contact with the end users.
- Remotely supporting on-platform investigations of faults.
- Seeking opportunities to improve the in-service delivery performance of our products.
Skills, Qualification and Experience
A reliable and trustworthy individual, with a logical approach, you will have:
- Experience of working with complex electronic systems including fault investigation and root cause analysis.
- Demonstrated the ability to develop systematic test procedures.
- Shown the ability to work under tight time constraints, in challenging contexts.
- Previously worked directly with end users and customers in an engineering support or design role.
A detail-oriented problem solver, with a passion for supporting the customer, you will:
- Thrive under pressure and be committed to supporting the end users’ capability
- Be able to gather data to establish the facts and draw valid conclusions
- Take personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of your work
- Cooperate well with others to achieve outstanding outcomes
- Have a full driving license. This role is office-based with occasional travel to customer sites