Everyday people are working to make us safe – behind those people is Ultra!
This is an extremely exciting opportunity for you to play a pivotal role in the development of our next generation of large Anti-Submarine Warfare and Torpedo Defence systems for the Naval Market. Ultra has been highly successful in winning several large programmes and need ambitious and creative systems engineers to contribute to the success of our new family of products.
as a Systems Engineers – Senior / Principal your key activities include the development of functional and non-functional requirements; supporting the Project Engineering Lead during the whole development lifecycle and contributing to a coherent and compelling product architecture.
The role can be based in Loudwater, Greenford or Weymouth and Ultra offers a choice of home site, as well as flexible and home working. In addition, we will help you achieve your goals by continuous professional development and regular career progression sessions.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities as a Systems Engineer
As a core member of the Systems Engineering team, you will:
- Contribute as part of the project engineering team to ensure we develop and deliver a solution that is technically and commercially acceptable.
- Support product certification and compliance approval (all technical aspects, including contractual & legislative).
- Deliver the systems engineering tasks for a project within on time and on budget, including work package management.
- Generate, understand, and review user requirements.
- Perform requirement analysis and flow down to system and sub-system levels.
- Develop and document system architecture, design, and acceptance and verification strategies.
- Ensure that specification, design, and acceptance information is fully traceable.
- Provide input to project schedules through regular and clear progress reports.
- Support bids by providing technical solutions, estimates, and plans.
Skills, Qualification and Experience as a Systems Engineer
You will have previous experience of systems engineering, ideally in a naval/defence environment and can show:
- Experience in negotiating and agreeing system requirements with customers and stakeholders.
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Good understanding of systems engineering lifecycle within a structured environment.
- Requirements elicitation and management using IBM DOORs.
- A good appreciation of mechanical, electrical and software engineering principals.
- Supported by a degree or equivalent in a relevant subject (Engineering or Computer Science), with potential for CEng status.
- Good team player, with a proactive, collaborative approach and an ability to motivate others.
- Good organisational skills with the ability to prioritise, define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Total task accomplishment through concern for all areas involved.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to present complex information to senior managers and customers in a clear and concise fashion.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to express ideas, share technical information and communicate at all levels and across different cultures.
- Demonstrates strong initiative in attempts to influence events to achieve goals.
- Be willing to coach/mentor members of the team to aid and monitor their development, providing feedback to performance reviews.
Every employee is critical to our success and as such we offer a range of flexible employee benefits along with career development opportunities.
The office has free parking and local transport links. In addition you will receive:
- Flexible working within core working hours
- 25 days’ holiday with the option to buy/sell 5 days plus bank holidays.
- 4 times your annual salary in life assurance
- Flexible benefits package (benefits such as, new car scheme, retail vouchers, gym discounts, employee share scheme, health screening and more!)
- Pension Scheme
Empowering you to reach your full potential
We trust and empower each other, we love to celebrate success and we win as a team. Together, we embrace change and we’re never satisfied until we’ve done what we said we’d do
Applicants will be required to meet SC level clearance
How to Apply
If you believe you have the skills and experience required to join our team then please click apply and upload your CV now.
Here at Ultra we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusivity. Underpinned by our values, behaviours and policies, we want you to feel empowered to be the best version of yourself. We also believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures will increase our diversity of thinking, ensuring we continue to successfully deliver to our customers.
We therefore do not discriminate on the basis of; age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible.
Please note, once you have completed your application this will be reviewed by our Talent Acquisition team. On occasions we may close roles earlier than the advertised closing date based on the quality of applications received. We encourage you to submit your application as soon as you are ready to. We look forward to hearing from you shortly.