Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems have a number of new projects starting requiring us to increase our software engineering capacity and capability. We are looking for adaptable software engineers, covering a range of experience levels, with a desire to deliver quality software to meet contractual milestones.
You will build on a core software skill set of UML design, iterative and incremental life-cycles and high level programming languages as you join our team to develop equipment supporting submarine weapon systems, sonobuoy systems and continue to support our electro-optic, gun fire control systems and platform data management systems.
Depending on project, you will be capable of working either on your own or as part of a larger team. You are likely to also need to work as part of a larger cross functional team working collaboratively with other engineering disciplines (Electrical, Mechanical and Systems engineering) to deliver finished product.
The broad range of products and projects that the software function supports will provide you with varied opportunities to grow your technical skills and take on positions of responsibility. Your existing skills will certainly be of value to us and your ability to learn new skills will be key as your career progresses.
- Contribute to all aspects of a product life-cycle, including analysis of requirements, high level and detailed design, implementation, test and deployment
- Planning approach to software development and testing
- Development of high quality, well tested code and accompanying documentation
- Rigorous configuration control of Software Items and configuration data
- Adherence to the company’s engineering processes and procedures
- Support the deployment of the software, both onto production hardware and the completed product once deployed to the end users
- Providing clear regular reports on progress to the Software Functional Team Lead and Project Management chains
Skills, Qualification and Experience:
The successful candidate would be expected to have a number of the following skills and experience:
- Knowledge of Formal Design Methodologies (e.g. UML)
- Knowledge of High Level Programming Languages (e.g. C++, C, Java)
- Knowledge of Markup languages (e.g. QML, XML, HTML)
- Agile development and use of associated tools (e.g. Jira)
- Understanding of configuration control and associated tools (e.g. SVN, GIT, ClearCase)
- Configuration and use of automated build processes (e.g. Jenkins)
- Configuration and use of automated test tools (e.g. GoogleTest, GoogleMock, Squish, Sikuli)
- Embedded software experience
- Virtualisation experience (e.g. VMWare, Hypervisor)
- Some knowledge of Linux, Windows and Real Time operating systems
- Ideally, experience of developing software in a regulated environment (e.g. Defence, Aerospace, Automotive)
- Degree in an engineering or related discipline, with a minimum of 3 years’ industrial experience.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral, able to express complex ideas and concepts at an appropriate level for the audience
- Enthusiastic and willing to learn
- Have a collaborative mind set being willing to share knowledge and work closely with others to achieve project goals
- Open and honest with willingness to report bad news as well as good
- Flexible and willing to take on a variety of tasks
- Hold, or be capable and willing to achieve, UK SC security Clearance
- Occasional travel may be required