Business: Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems
Job Title: Senior Systems Engineer – Permanent
Purpose of Role
To conduct systems engineering activities on various Hull Mounted and Towed Array SONAR systems programs across a range of innovative new products at different levels of maturity, either alone on a small project or as part of a larger project team. You will be involved in multiple disciplines (Electronics, Algorithms, Software, Mechanical) from early prototyping to early trial through to full production and as such provide a rich technical background on which to thrive.
Systems Engineers will create and sustain successful, purposeful, systems that:
- Relate to the development and delivery of goods and services;
- Deliver real benefits to the company, suppliers and customers;
- Works with all technical domains, and all business functions;
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
Leading the systems activities on a project you will apply sound engineering judgement to ensure projects are delivered to cost, schedule, and quality requirements.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Delivering the systems engineering tasks for a project within the allocated budget and timeframe.
- Coordinating the project engineering team to develop and deliver a solution that is technically and commercially acceptable.
- Generating, understanding, and reviewing user requirements.
- Performing requirement analysis and flow down to system and sub-system levels.
- Developing and documenting system architecture, design, and acceptance and verification strategies.
- Ensuring that the specification, design, and acceptance information is fully traceable.
- Leading all the activities relating to systems validation and acceptance.
- Providing input to project schedules through regular and clear progress reports.
- Supporting bids by providing technical solutions, estimates, and plans.
- Day-to-day technical decisions on own activities and work undertaken.
- Day-to-day technical decisions on activities and work undertaken by more junior staff within own functional discipline.
- Day-to-day technical decision on best designs to be selected for allocated projects.
- Perform and manage the reviews of artefacts produced by less experienced personnel and sanction outcome.
- Support regular decision making process in the selection of new technologies within functional discipline.
A motivated and natural leader with a passion for successfully delivering the customer expectations, you will:
- Be able to gather data using both your own logical thinking and the surrounding project team, in order to draw valid and justifiable conclusions.
- Display excellent interpersonal skills and possess the empathy and skill to adapt your communication style to build rapport with a broad range of internal and external customers.
- Take personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of your work.
- Be capable of actively growing your network across the business, building trusting relationships and positively influencing others in order to deliver upon your objectives.
- Be willing to coach/mentor less senior members of the team to aid and monitor their development, providing feedback to performance reviews.
- The role is office based with occasional travel to other company/customer’s sites in the UK or abroad.
- Degree or equivalent experience in a relevant subject (Engineering or Computer Science)
- Professional Registration (eg MIET)
- Degree in a relevant subject (Engineering or Computer Science)