Senior Supportability Engineer
Purpose of Role
Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems (UECSS) has an exciting opportunity for an Integrated Logistics Support (ILS) / Supportability Engineer seeking a new challenge. We pride ourselves on developing long term relationships with our customers, providing support for equipment throughout its design life and often beyond.
Our ILS team provides supportability and support solutions consultancy to Ultra’s project, sales and technology teams. We maximise our customers’ capabilities by ensuring our products are supportable and supported at optimum Whole Life Cost.
This is an opportunity to grow your career within a progressive, dynamic environment with exposure to ground-breaking technologies and systems, including the world’s first Integrated Sonar System and the market-leading fully digital Hull Mounted Sonar, S2150.
We will challenge and support you in equal measure to nurture your potential as an engineer and will support you in working towards the requirements of Chartership with your chosen institution. We will give you the chance to utilise and build your skills across all of the ILS disciplines, including Reliability & Maintainability, Human Factors, Training, Lifecycle Engineering, Support Solution Design and ILS Management.
Working under the mentorship of the ILS Functional Team Lead, you will apply sound engineering judgement to ensure products are developed to be supportable, develop the support solution and acquire the necessary resources for support.
No two days at Ultra are the same, but your responsibilities will include:
- In coordination with the Project Manager, tailoring the scope and scale of ILS activities to meet the User, Customer, and Ultra’s requirements
- Working collaboratively with designers to improve the reliability, maintainability and usability aspects of Ultra’s designs.
- Developing the optimum support solution for each customer, within the context of a wider product and capability roadmap.
- Building the Whole Life / Through Life Cost Model to inform the overall business case for new product developments in partnership with the Project and Capability Management teams
- Identifying the factors that drive cost throughout the lifecycle of a product and the levers that influence those cost drivers.
- Eliciting and deriving support requirements and proposing verification methods for each requirement.
- Developing supportability cases and conducting analysis to provide progressive assurance of support solutions.
- Performing reliability modelling and undertaking maintainability analysis to optimise support arrangements.
- Assessing the human element of systems, including assessing the potential for human error as a contributor to system failures.
- Assisting with the identification and mitigation of hazards through system hazard analysis.
- Formulating and implementing the obsolescence strategy for a product line.
- Supporting the continuous improvement of processes, policies and procedures.
- Collaborating with our sales & marketing team to implement strategies for growing our support business
Skills, Qualification and Experience
A dynamic, professional, engineer with experience within a high technology or regulated industry, you will:
- Hold a Bachelor’s or higher degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics discipline or have equivalent experience.
- Have experience as a practitioner in at least one of the following areas, with exposure to the others:
- Operational Analysis & Whole Life Cost Modelling – Business Case Analysis, COIEAs, Availability Trade-Off Analysis, etc.
- Reliability & Maintainability – Reliability Prediction, RBDs, FTAs, FMEAs, Robustness Growth, MTAs, Zonal Analysis, FRACAS/DRACAS, etc.
- ILS Requirements Management and Progressive Assurance, including Logistics Demonstrations
- Hold or be cable of achieving Security Clearance (SC) or higher with no caveats.
- Possess a full driving license. This role is office based with occasional travel across Ultra sites and to customer and supplier locations.
A natural team player who seeks to build consensus in order to achieve your personal and professional goals, you will:
- Display excellent interpersonal skills with a talent for rapidly building rapport with a broad range of internal and external customers from diverse backgrounds.
- Work to resolve conflict wherever it arises, promoting harmony within the team
- Have a clear focus on the future, with the ability offer long term insights to guide today’s designers in producing products that can be supported throughout their lifetime.
- Possess excellent communication skills and display the empathy and skill to adapt your communication style in response to others’ needs.
- Be capable of actively growing your network across the business, building trusting relationships and positively influencing others in order to deliver upon your objectives.
Here's a breakdown of what to expect during the application process for this role:
…The culture at Ultra Electronics is very friendly and people are always willing to help each other. I really enjoy working here and am continually learning and developing my skills.
Senior management is very approachable and has an open door policy which helps effective communication. I feel that my contribution to the success of the business really is appreciated and this motivates me to keep improving…
UK UltraSelect Benefits
As a UK employee you are offered company paid life assurance and membership of a contributory pension scheme as part of UltraSelect, the Group's flexible benefits scheme. Each year Ultra offers a SAYE scheme for all employees. UltraSelect offers important benefits flexibility for all UK employees by giving you the opportunity to consider how you wish to receive your benefits package from the company.