Technical Specialist: Safety & Reliability
Business: Ultra Electronics PCS
Ultra Electronics PCS is a global supplier of high integrity control products for aerospace that include: position sensing and control; cockpit controls such as joysticks, throttles, selector handles and switches; high pressure pure air generators for sensor cooling and pneumatic ejection of aircraft munitions and ruggedised harness systems. For military vehicle and soldier applications, Ultra PCS provides generic architectures, data management and local situational awareness.
Reporting to the Functional Domain Manager, the position would involve safety, reliability, and supportability oversight to proactively influence the development of products to ensure Safety, Testability and R&M principles are implemented and integrated into designs to optimise Whole Life Costs.
- Provide the business with technical oversight of its safety, reliability and supportability approach
- Provide technical supervision and management of contractor safety, reliability and supportability deliverables
- Understand and apply the principles of Safety, Reliability, Maintainability and Testability Engineering in accordance with military and civilian standards, directives and requirements for example: Def. Stan’s 00-40, 42, 44, 45, 56, BSEN 61508, MIL-STD 1629 & 882D, MIL-HDBK 217F, RIAC Derating, ARP4761 & 4754, CS25, ABD0100.
- Identify and analyse Safety, Testability, R&M requirements from customers
- Generation of Safety, Reliability, Maintainability, Testability and Supportability plans and case reports
- Safety and Reliability & Maintainability analysis including reliability prediction, FMECA and Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) as part of the design and development activities including development/prototype equipment
- Provide guidance for design for safety, reliability, maintainability and testability within Engineering design teams
- Influence the design and development of engineering solutions to be safe and supportable in accordance with the appropriate safety and supportability codes pf practice
- Conduct/co-ordinate Safety, R&M and Supportability reviews of supplier technical documentation
- Identify and agree Safety and Supportability requirements from international legislation, directives and standards that may be outside of the project scope and which may impact upon the business
- Personal Behaviours
- The successful candidate would be expected to demonstrate the following behaviours and skills:
- Pro-active and self-motivated with good problem solving experience
- Willing to think “outside the box” to achieve problem resolution
- Positive attitude with ability to work within multi-function teams on rapidly moving projects.
- Helpful and assistive approach to resolution of technical challenges, supportive of change
- Good communication skills (presentation, written and verbal)
- Good core IT skills (Windows, Office, Visio etc.)
Expectations, Background and Understanding:
- Degree or HNC educated in an engineering or science discipline
- A background in electronics would be a distinct advantage
- Understanding of product development lifecycle and associated requirements
- Understands the importance of delivery performance to cost and schedule
- Experience and understanding of product development practices to ISO9001 & AS9100 Quality standards
- Understanding and experience of data capture in terms of Technical Publications, Training, Integrated Logistics Support (ILS), Logistic Support Analysis (LSA) and WLC/LCC would be an distinct advantage
- Understanding and experience of data capture in terms of Technical Publications, Training, Integrated Logistics Support (ILS), Logistic Support Analysis (LSA) and WLC/LCC
- Awareness of supportability aspects of a programme
- Experience of identifying Programme and Customer related Supportability requirements
- Experience of Mechanical Engineering Development
Here's a breakdown of what to expect during the application process for this role:
…After completing 24 years of military service, I was keen to find employment with a progressive technology company.
Ultra Electronics is without doubt at the forefront of providing digital recording solutions and this is one of the main reasons that the work as a Project Engineer within the company is so demanding but also very rewarding.
I have enjoyed several overseas trips to oversee the installation and training of systems for which I have been responsible. The travel has also helped in further developing the relationships the company has with the customers, agents and suppliers across the world.
Colleagues within the company are always very supportive and there is always a good feeling of team spirit within all sections of Ultra…
UK UltraSelect Benefits
As a UK employee you are offered company paid life assurance and membership of a contributory pension scheme as part of UltraSelect, the Group's flexible benefits scheme. Each year Ultra offers a SAYE scheme for all employees. UltraSelect offers important benefits flexibility for all UK employees by giving you the opportunity to consider how you wish to receive your benefits package from the company.