We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Software Engineer to join our Software team based in Loudwater.
You will have a proven ability to deliver across all stages of the development lifecycle. You will be flexible and able to work with a variety of tools, technologies and team sizes supporting Ultra’s range of weapon interface, Electro Optic Fire Control, Sonobouy and Platform Data Management systems.
As a principle engineer, you will not be expected to have line management responsibilities but will be expected to provide technical leadership to other software engineers. You will be expected to establish new projects defining the work to be carried out, the work breakdown and drive to completion.
You will provide hands-on development experience and contribute with a broad range of software disciplines from design, coding, testing, integration, build systems and configuration management to the software focused Work Packages you are responsible for.
You should be confident in estimating and planning software developments with an appreciation of Agile methodologies applied in a technically rigorous environment for projects with defined costs, schedules and intermediate payment milestones.
Key Responsibilities as a Principal Software Engineer
- Producing initial estimates, identification of Risks Assumptions and Dependencies.
- Planning approach to software development and testing.
- Software component level design.
- Development of high quality, well tested code and accompanying documentation.
- Rigorous configuration control.
- Adherence to the company’s engineering processes and procedures.
- Supporting the integration and verification of software components into a wider system.
- Supporting the Project Manager and Project Engineering Lead in the definition of software Work Packages.
- Providing periodic (normally monthly) status updates on software work packages, including work Spend to Date, Estimates to Complete, Estimated Completion Dates and any key risks or issues.
- Acting as a Work Package Manager and providing leadership to small team of Software Engineers depending on the size of project.
- Supporting your Software Team Lead in the day to day running of the Software Function by efficient completion of weekly administrative tasks, understanding and following company procedures and promoting an agile, innovative and sharing culture.
Every employee is critical to our success and as such we offer a range of flexible employee benefits along with career development opportunities for motivated and dedicated employees.
The office has free parking, onsite restaurant and local transport links. In addition you will receive:
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- 4x your annual salary in life assurance
- Flexible benefits package (car scheme, retail vouchers, gym discounts, employee share scheme, ability to buy or sell annual leave and more!)
- Pension Scheme
- Sports and Social club
Skills and Qualifications Required
Breadth of exposure to a significant subset of the following types of software technologies
- UML and associated tools (Rhapsody and EA architect).
- High level programming languages (C++/C, Java, Python).
- Qt/QML GUI Framework.
- Agile development (Jira).
- Automated test technologies (GoogleTest, GoogleMock and Squish).
- IP Communications.
- Serial and discrete communications.
- Linux Operating System.
- Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS).
- Operating system hardening.
- Virtualisation experience (e.g. VMWare, Hypervisor).
- Clear and concise documentation skills (Microsoft office toolset).
- Configuration control (SVN and GIT)
- Continuous integration and build (Jenkins).
- Embedded Software development.
- Developing software in a regulated environment (Defence, Aerospace and Automotive)
- Experience of leading software engineering teams to deliver into complex systems as part of fixed price contracts.
What we do
Ultra Maritime operate across the following areas:
Underwater Warfare: this includes working on game changing naval Integrated Sonar System (ISS), hull mounted anti-submarine warfare sonar system, towed array sonar systems, surface ship and submarine torpedo defence and countermeasures, and distributed anti-submarine warfare systems (sonobuoys), including Multi-Static Active (MSA) technologies.
Maritime: this includes new build and modernisation solutions for naval combat systems, combat management systems, electro optical surveillance and tracking, weapon fire control and servo control and signature measurement solutions for both surface and sub-surface platforms.
Due to the nature of work undertaken applicants will be required to hold or be capable and willing to achieve UK SC security clearance
How to Apply
If you believe you have the skills and experience required to join our team then please click apply and upload your CV now.
Here at Ultra we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusivity. Underpinned by our values, behaviours and policies, we want you to feel empowered to be the best version of yourself. We also believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures will increase our diversity of thinking, ensuring we continue to successfully deliver to our customers.
We therefore do not discriminate on the basis of; age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible.