Principal Through Life Engineer
Business: Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems
Purpose of Role
Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems (CSS) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced engineer seeking a new challenge. You will be responsible for supporting CSS’s products in service, ensuring our customers are able to achieve mission success 24/7/365, anywhere in the world.
You will be the primary technical point of contact for our In Service Torpedo Defence Systems, responsible for leading a project team that provides advice and expertise on the resolution of technical issues to our customers. You and your team will put in place procedures that ensure our equipment remains safe and suitable for continued service through its planned lifetime, working closely alongside both our design and field services teams.
No two days at Ultra are the same, and you will have the opportunity to develop your knowledge base within the underwater warfare domain, and grow your career in a fast paced, rapidly expanding, area of the defence sector.
Leading the engineering office for our In Service Torpedo Defence Systems, you will be responsible for:
- Providing a proactive response to emerging technical issues, including customer fault reports and technical queries
- Coordinating the project engineering team to develop a solution that is technically and commercially acceptable
- Enacting programmes of inspection and preventative maintenance
- Ensuring that customer equipment remains safe and suitable for continued service
- Seeking opportunities to improve the in-service delivery performance of our Torpedo Defence Systems
- Coordinating and cooperating with the field support team to conduct ship surveys and commission equipment
- Implementing change requests to documentation
- Highlighting resource conflict or constraints to engineering management
- Producing estimates for new engineering work (e.g. redesign) and planning the work.
Skills, Qualification and Experience
A reliable and trustworthy individual, with a logical approach, you will have:
- A relevant Bachelor’s or higher degree, or equal professional experience.
- Significant experience as a senior engineer within the In-Service phase of the lifecycle
- Provided leadership, and worked ‘hands on,’ during integration, testing and system commissioning
- Demonstrated the ability to plan and execute support tasks on complex projects
- Shown the ability to work under tight time constraints, in challenging contexts
- A background working with maritime equipment. An understanding of underwater warfare systems would be a bonus.
- Demonstrable experience in communicating complicated topics clearly and concisely to technical and non-technical audiences
A detail-oriented problem solver, with a passion for supporting the customer, you will:
- Thrive under pressure and drive performance to meet tight deadlines
- Possess excellent organisational and management skills
- Be able to define problem spaces, gather data to establish the facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Take personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of your work
- Cooperate well with others to achieve outstanding outcomes
- Seek and give constructive feedback, and reflect on performance, to nurture potential within the team
- Have a full driving license. This role is office-based with regular travel to customer sites (primarily Portsmouth).
- Be eligible for security clearance to at least Security Check (SC) level with no caveats. This role is only open to UK sole nationals due to the security restrictions of the projects involved.
Here's a breakdown of what to expect during the application process for this role:
… After graduation, my job search focused on finding work and I focused on the defense sector. While looking at Ultra, it was clear they were a company I wanted to learn more about to discover where I might fit in.
In my first impressions, it was the people who convinced me to join. Everyone seemed to feel they were part of a team, working together to produce successful products.
My co-workers are glad to teach what they know and explain their work, as Ultra has a great atmosphere for learning informally. The technical knowledge I’m applying, along with the communication and teamwork here, allow people to express their knowledge and use it towards successful projects.
Working at Ultra is helping me develop the skills which will lead me to possess the technical aptitude and leadership abilities to function as a project lead or enter into a managerial role…
UK UltraSelect Benefits
As a UK employee you are offered company paid life assurance and membership of a contributory pension scheme as part of UltraSelect, the Group's flexible benefits scheme. Each year Ultra offers a SAYE scheme for all employees. UltraSelect offers important benefits flexibility for all UK employees by giving you the opportunity to consider how you wish to receive your benefits package from the company.