Business: Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems
Job Title: Principal System Engineer
Purpose of Role
Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems (UECSS) have an exciting new opportunity for a Principal Systems Engineer seeking a new challenge. UCESS has a wide range of products and projects, spanning the whole lifecycle from concept through to in-service support and disposal. We deliver, integrate, and support products in the Defence and Aerospace markets around the globe.
The systems engineering team manage the requirements definition, implementation, verification, and validation of systems to ensure that the project delivers to cost, quality, and schedule.
This is an opportunity to grow your career within a progressive, dynamic environment through exposure to ground-breaking technologies and systems. No two days at Ultra are the same, and you will have the opportunity to develop your systems engineering skills across the whole lifecycle in the underwater warfare and maritime domains.
Leading the systems activities on a project you will apply sound engineering judgement to ensure projects are delivered to cost, schedule, and quality requirements.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Delivering the systems engineering tasks for a project within the allocated budget and timeframe.
- Coordinating the project engineering team to develop and deliver a solution that is technically and commercially acceptable.
- Generating, understanding, and reviewing user requirements.
- Performing requirement analysis and flow down to system and sub-system levels.
- Developing and documenting system architecture, design, and acceptance and verification strategies.
- Ensuring that the specification, design, and acceptance information is fully traceable.
- Leading all the activities relating to systems validation and acceptance.
- Providing input to project schedules through regular and clear progress reports.
- Supporting bids by providing technical solutions, estimates, and plans.
Skills, Qualification and Experience
- Hold a relevant Bachelor’s or higher degree or have equivalent experience.
- Have significant experience in most of the following areas, with exposure to the others:
- Requirements elicitation and management
- System architecture and design
- System integration and test
- System acceptance, verification, and validation
- In-service support
- Hold or be capable of achieving Security Clearance (SC).
- Have demonstrated the ability to plan and execute systems activities on complex projects.
- Experience in communicating complicated topics clearly and concisely to technical and non-technical audiences.
A motivated and natural leader with a passion for successfully delivering the customer expectations, you will:
- Be able to gather data using both your own logical thinking and the surrounding project team, in order to draw valid and justifiable conclusions.
- Display excellent interpersonal skills and possess the empathy and skill to adapt your communication style to build rapport with a broad range of internal and external customers.
- Take personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of your work.
- Be capable of actively growing your network across the business, building trusting relationships and positively influencing others in order to deliver upon your objectives.
- Be willing to coach/mentor less senior members of the team to aid and monitor their development, providing feedback to performance reviews.
- The role is office based with occasional travel to other company/customer’s sites in the UK or abroad.
Here's a breakdown of what to expect during the application process for this role:
…One of the main reasons that I joined Ultra Electronics five years ago was that I saw a company with the motivation to grow by recognising that the employees are at the heart of the company…
Over the past five years Ultra has proven that my initial motivations were well founded by supporting my career progression by providing structured training plans, reviews, training courses, personal coaching and on-the-job training.
All of this is strengthened by an open and supportive environment in which all employees are respectfully and fairly treated…
UK UltraSelect Benefits
As a UK employee you are offered company paid life assurance and membership of a contributory pension scheme as part of UltraSelect, the Group's flexible benefits scheme. Each year Ultra offers a SAYE scheme for all employees. UltraSelect offers important benefits flexibility for all UK employees by giving you the opportunity to consider how you wish to receive your benefits package from the company.