We have solved complex problems for over 100 years and we’re just getting started!
We have an exciting new opportunity for a talented and motivated Principal Analyst who is looking to develop their expertise and play a pivotal role in extending our products in capability and effectiveness.
Our Analysts are involved throughout the project lifecycle from conceiving new product ideas and capabilities to gaining customer approval of delivered solutions and insertion of capability enhancement to in service solutions.
As a Principal Analyst you will provide in-depth sonar technical expertise, supporting equally our product development and project delivery.
The global proliferation of sophisticated submarine threats and Ultra’s pedigree, current growth and ambition in this domain make this an extremely exciting time to join our team.
Key Responsibilities as a Principal Analyst
- Developing sonar processing algorithms based on the application of established digital signal processing approaches
- Selecting appropriate algorithmic techniques based upon performance requirements developed with the system design team from the customer specification
- Developing algorithms with implementation in mind (segmentation/simplification/parallelisation)
- Documenting algorithm specification and design decisions/implications/discussions
- Supporting the implementation, debugging and verification of algorithms in software, including the generation of appropriate test dataPerformance Modelling, Design Trade-offs and Product Development
- Modelling algorithm performance under a wide range of realistic underwater conditions
- Modelling sonar system performance against customer requirements for the inclusion in bid responses
- Quantifying the impact of Sonar System Design decisions to the Sonar System performance, hence guiding cost effective approaches to this decision making process.
- Communicating implications of Sonar Performance related subjects with expert and non-expert audiences verbally and written
- Developing ideas for new approaches to Sonar products to improve their capability individually and collectively embracing new technologies or approachesSupport to Trials
- Specifying and oversight of trials plans/procedures to ensure appropriate data is gathered to assess Sonar System performance
- Analysing Trials data, assessing against system performance requirements
- Reporting on Trails Data analysis drawing clear conclusions on both the success of the trials and the sonar system against its performance requirements
- Report to project/product development teams on progress of assigned work packages
- To provide in-feed to design reviews and at customer presentations
- Mentoring junior analysts within the business
Skills, Qualification and Experience as a Principal Analyst
- Hold a relevant Bachelor’s (higher degree preferred) in Physics, Mathematics or Engineering;
- Have significant experience in at least some of the following areas, with exposure to the others:
- Digital Signal Processing Algorithm Definition
- Trials Data Analysis
- Performance Prediction Modelling
- Performance Requirement interpretation and analysis
- Algorithmic simplification for increased computational efficiency
- Sonar domain experience in one of the above areas is highly desirable
- Experience in communicating complicated topics clearly and concisely to expert and non-expert audiences
- Proficient in the use of mathematic/scientific modelling tools e.g. MATLAB
- Experience of being able to set and meet deadlines
- Hold or be capable of achieving Security Clearance (SC) or higher with no caveats.
Every employee is critical to our success and as such we offer a range of flexible employee benefits along with career development opportunities.
The Weymouth office has free parking and local transport links. In addition, you will receive:
- Flexible working within core working hours
- 25 days’ holiday with the option to buy/sell 5 days plus bank holidays.
- 4 times your annual salary in life assurance
- Flexible benefits package (benefits such as, new car scheme, retail vouchers, gym discounts, employee share scheme, health screening and more!)
- Pension Scheme
Empowering you to reach your full potential
We trust and empower each other, we love to celebrate success and we win as a team. Together, we embrace change and we’re never satisfied until we’ve done what we said we’d do
How to Apply
If you believe you have the skills and experience required to join our team then please click apply and upload your CV now.
Here at Ultra we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusivity. Underpinned by our values, behaviours and policies, we want you to feel empowered to be the best version of yourself. We also believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures will increase our diversity of thinking, ensuring we continue to successfully deliver to our customers.
We therefore do not discriminate on the basis of; age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible.
Please note, once you have completed your application this will be reviewed by our Talent Acquisition team. On occasions we may close roles earlier than the advertised closing date based on the quality of applications received. We encourage you to submit your application as soon as you are ready to. We look forward to hearing from you shortly.