Business: Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems
Job Title: Principal Analyst (Sonar)
Purpose of Role
Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems (UECSS) have an exciting new opportunity for a talented and motivated Principal Analyst looking to develop their expertise and play a pivotal role in extending our products in capability and effectiveness.
Our Analysts are involved throughout the project lifecycle from conceiving new product ideas and capabilities to gaining customer approval of delivered solutions and insertion of capability enhancement to in service solutions.
As a Principal Analyst you will provide in-depth sonar technical expertise, supporting equally our product development and project delivery.
The global proliferation of sophisticated submarine threats and Ultra’s pedigree, current growth and ambition in this domain make this an extremely exciting time to join our team.
- Developing sonar processing algorithms based on the application of established digital signal processing approaches
- Selecting appropriate algorithmic techniques based upon performance requirements developed with the system design team from the customer specification
- Developing algorithms with implementation in mind (segmentation/simplification/parallelisation)
- Documenting algorithm specification and design decisions/implications/discussions
- Supporting the implementation, debugging and verification of algorithms in software, including the generation of appropriate test dataPerformance Modelling, Design Trade-offs and Product Development
- Modelling algorithm performance under a wide range of realistic underwater conditions
- Modelling sonar system performance against customer requirements for the inclusion in bid responses
- Quantifying the impact of Sonar System Design decisions to the Sonar System performance, hence guiding cost effective approaches to this decision making process.
- Communicating implications of Sonar Performance related subjects with expert and non-expert audiences verbally and written
- Developing ideas for new approaches to Sonar products to improve their capability individually and collectively embracing new technologies or approachesSupport to Trials
- Specifying and oversight of trials plans/procedures to ensure appropriate data is gathered to assess Sonar System performance
- Analysing Trials data, assessing against system performance requirements
- Reporting on Trails Data analysis drawing clear conclusions on both the success of the trials and the sonar system against its performance requirementsCommunication/Reporting
- Report to project/product development teams on progress of assigned work packages
- To provide in-feed to design reviews and at customer presentations
- Mentoring junior analysts within the business
Skills, Qualification and Experience
- Hold a relevant Bachelor’s (higher degree preferred) in Physics, Mathematics or Engineering;
- Have significant experience in at least some of the following areas, with exposure to the others:
- Digital Signal Processing Algorithm Definition
- Trials Data Analysis
- Performance Prediction Modelling
- Performance Requirement interpretation and analysis
- Algorithmic simplification for increased computational efficiency
- Sonar domain experience in one of the above areas is highly desirable
- Experience in communicating complicated topics clearly and concisely to expert and non-expert audiences
- Proficient in the use of mathematic/scientific modelling tools e.g. MATLAB
- Experience of being able to set and meet deadlines
- Hold or be capable of achieving Security Clearance (SC) or higher with no caveats.
- Problem Solver – Enjoys the challenge of dealing with the unknown and working through a solution
- Communicator – Able to converse with expert and non-expert colleagues and inform and guide them working collaboratively, bringing customer along with chosen approaches in formal, informal, verbal and written formats
- Decision Maker – Able to decide where a design trade-off is appropriate or where sufficient confidence has been generated that a requirement has been verified
- Methodical – Able to break down complex problems and organized significant volumes of information into manageable blocks of analysis on focused pieces of information
- Creative – Looks for opportunities to improve the way we do things including the application of emerging technologies such as big data and machine learning to Sonar or using more efficient tools or processes to reduce lifecycle timescales
- Inquisitive – Strives to increase knowledge of mathematical theories and new processing techniques and how these are applied in novel technologies.