Motor Mechanical Engineer
Reporting to the Engineering Manager in Power, the Motor Mechanical Design Engineer will be responsible for providing Mechanical design expertise to support the design and development of specialist high power electric motors and generators.
The candidate will provide expertise in the mechanical packaging of power dense motor solutions and will provide design support throughout the design lifecycle; from feasibility studies and concept designs for new products, through to detailed design and production delivery.
The role may be delivered at an Engineer, Senior or Principal level within the Company dependant on experience.
- Provide the business with mechanical design expertise for high power electric motors rated in the range of several kW to a few MW
- Generate concept motor design proposals and feasibility studies to support future product development programmes
- Carry out mechanical, structural and thermal design and analysis of electric motors, within a multi-disciplined engineering environment
- Work with production engineering to develop manufacturing technologies, process plans and quality systems and to initiate and support cost improvement activities
- Develop appropriate external design, analysis and manufacturing partners in support of our ongoing business opportunities
- Contribute to the development of engineering excellence within the business
- Degree or higher in mechanical engineering or equivalent
- Skills and experience in the field of motor design
- Broad knowledge of all aspects of motor design and system applications (e.g. electrical design of motors, motor drives, pumps, etc)
- Experience in manufacturing methods applicable to rotating machines; castings, fabrications, machining, coil winding, etc
- Proficient in the use of 3D CAD. Solidworks is preferred but not essential
- Use of CFD/FEA tools for thermal analysis and structural design and analysis, fatigue life assessments,
- Good knowledge of materials
- Good knowledge of best practice design lifecycle process; gated design phases, design reviews
Ultra Electronics is committed to Equal Opportunities and career development both within and across all businesses.
Here's a breakdown of what to expect during the application process for this role:
…After completing 24 years of military service, I was keen to find employment with a progressive technology company.
Ultra Electronics is without doubt at the forefront of providing digital recording solutions and this is one of the main reasons that the work as a Project Engineer within the company is so demanding but also very rewarding.
I have enjoyed several overseas trips to oversee the installation and training of systems for which I have been responsible. The travel has also helped in further developing the relationships the company has with the customers, agents and suppliers across the world.
Colleagues within the company are always very supportive and there is always a good feeling of team spirit within all sections of Ultra…
UK UltraSelect Benefits
As a UK employee you are offered company paid life assurance and membership of a contributory pension scheme as part of UltraSelect, the Group's flexible benefits scheme. Each year Ultra offers a SAYE scheme for all employees. UltraSelect offers important benefits flexibility for all UK employees by giving you the opportunity to consider how you wish to receive your benefits package from the company.