Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems
Greenford, Greater London
Functional Team Lead – Through Life Engineering
Purpose of Role
Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems (CSS) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced engineer looking to take on management responsibility whilst remaining ‘hands on’ in a technical role, or an existing team leader seeking a new challenge.
You will be leading a well-established team of engineers responsible for supporting CSS’s products in service, ensuring our customers are able to achieve mission success 24/7/365, anywhere in the world. You and your team will put in place procedures that ensure our equipment remains safe and suitable for continued service through its planned lifetime, working alongside both our design and field services teams.
No two days at Ultra are the same, and you will have the opportunity to develop your knowledge base within the maritime & underwater warfare domain, and grow your career in a fast paced, rapidly expanding, area of the defence sector.
As a front line manager of a customer-facing team, you will be responsible for:
- Conducting 1-2-1s, recruitment, analysis of the forward load, workforce planning and resource allocation for a small (6+ staff) team
- Managing the Through Life Engineering team at Greenford, its resources, knowledge, skills, processes, procedures and tools, and aligning these with the current and future needs of the business
- Developing the team through best practice and engineering excellence
- Promoting positive behaviours and a positive vision of the company to the team
- Mentoring, performance management and discipline of the team
- Implementing engineering processes and supporting the development of best practice
- Developing fault finding processes and conducting root cause analysis for our products
- Acting as the Project Engineering Lead and/or System Design Authority on support projects where allocated.
- Defining the Through Life Engineering work packages and plans for allocated projects and bids
- Interfacing with the users and customers to gather feedback and implement product improvements for allocated projects
- Responding to technical queries and providing technical advice to users for allocated projects
Skills, Qualification and Experience
A trustworthy and dependable individual, you will have:
- A relevant Bachelor’s or higher degree, or equal professional experience
- Significant experience as a senior engineer throughout the Integration, Test and In-Service phase of the lifecycle
- Provided leadership, and worked ‘hands on,’ during integration, testing and system commissioning
- Demonstrated the ability to plan and execute support tasks on complex projects
- Knowledge of basic project management practices (e.g. work package estimation, risk management, project planning)
- Shown the ability to work under tight time constraints, in challenging contexts
- A background working with maritime equipment. An understanding of underwater warfare systems would be a bonus
- Demonstrable experience in communicating complicated topics, clearly and concisely, to technical and non-technical audiences
A compassionate and committed individual, who is able to motivate others to deliver their best performance, you will have:
- A positive and enthusiastic attitude and be able to act as an ambassador for CSS
- The ability to coach and develop more junior members of the team
- A proactive approach to resolving issues and delivering results
- A talent for driving performance across the team to achieve success under pressure
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills for customer facing activities
- Eligible for security clearance to a minimum of Security Check (SC) level with no caveats
- Full driving license. This role is office-based with occasional travel to customer sites (primarily Portsmouth and Plymouth with occasional overseas travel) as required by project demands
Here's a breakdown of what to expect during the application process for this role:
…After completing 24 years of military service, I was keen to find employment with a progressive technology company.
Ultra Electronics is without doubt at the forefront of providing digital recording solutions and this is one of the main reasons that the work as a Project Engineer within the company is so demanding but also very rewarding.
I have enjoyed several overseas trips to oversee the installation and training of systems for which I have been responsible. The travel has also helped in further developing the relationships the company has with the customers, agents and suppliers across the world.
Colleagues within the company are always very supportive and there is always a good feeling of team spirit within all sections of Ultra…
UK UltraSelect Benefits
As a UK employee you are offered company paid life assurance and membership of a contributory pension scheme as part of UltraSelect, the Group's flexible benefits scheme. Each year Ultra offers a SAYE scheme for all employees. UltraSelect offers important benefits flexibility for all UK employees by giving you the opportunity to consider how you wish to receive your benefits package from the company.