Functional Team Lead – Integrated Logistics Support (ILS) & Technical Publications
Purpose of Role
Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems (CSS) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced ILS Manager with a proven track record of leadership. You will be leading a well-established team of engineers responsible for ensuring that Ultra’s products and services are developed at optimum through life cost, whilst maximising reliability, maintainability and usability.
Day to day, you will be working closely with design teams to influence CSS’s products for supportability and developing the support solutions and new support services for our products to ensure that customers are able to achieve mission success, 24/7/365, anywhere in the world.
No two days at Ultra are the same, and you will have the opportunity to develop your knowledge base on products ranging from naval combat management systems and gun fire control solutions through to major sonars, data distribution systems and magnetic influence sensors.
As a front line manager of a customer-facing team, you will be responsible for:
- Line management responsibilities, including conducting 1-2-1s, recruitment, analysis of the forward load, and resource allocation for a small (6+ staff) team.
- Managing the ILS & Technical Publications team, its resources, knowledge, skills, processes, procedures and tools to align with the current and future needs of the business.
- Ensuring delivery of ILS & Technical Publications work packages to the required quality within the schedule and budget constraints of projects and bids
- Developing the team through best practice and engineering excellence.
- Promoting positive behaviours and a positive vision of the company to the team.
- Mentoring, performance management and discipline of the team.
- Implementing engineering processes and supporting the development of best practice.
- Defining the ILS Work Packages for projects and bids
- Working closely with the customer and user community to agree the support strategy for a project
- Engaging with the supply chain, with the support of Procurement, to put in place the logistic support elements necessary to support our products through life
- Defining the support solution for a project and across a product line and working with the Sales & Marketing team to maximise orders for support services, continuing our transition away from being a simple ‘ad hoc spares and repairs’ provider
- Supporting the capture of technology refresh programmes by making compelling spend to save cases using lifecycle cost projections
- Acting as the Project Engineering Lead and/or System Design Authority on projects where allocated.
Skills, Qualification and Experience
A trustworthy and dependable individual, you will have:
- A relevant Bachelor’s or higher degree, or equal professional experience
- Practitioner level experience across most ILS disciplines, with the ability to define and review work produced by domain specialists across the others.
- Previous experience in managing the creation of Technical Publications, preferably including experience of using a mixture of in-house and outsourced solutions.
- Proven experience of management as either a line manager or within a project context
- Demonstrable experience in communicating complicated topics, clearly and concisely, to technical and non-technical audiences
A committed and compelling leader, who is able to motivate others to deliver their best performance, you will have:
- Positive and constructive attitude, able to act as an ambassador for CSS.
- Display excellent interpersonal skills with a talent for rapidly building rapport with a broad range of internal and external customers from diverse backgrounds.
- Work to resolve conflict wherever it arises, promoting harmony within the team
- Have a clear focus on the future, with the ability offer long term insights to guide today’s designers in producing products that can be supported throughout their lifetime.
- Possess excellent communication skills and display the empathy and skill to adapt your communication style in response to others’ needs.
- Be capable of actively growing your network across the business, building trusting relationships and positively influencing others in order to deliver upon your objectives.
- Ability to coach and develop more junior members of the team.
- Proactive approach to resolving issues and delivering results.
- Experienced in working across multiple projects to achieve challenging timescales.
- Able to drive performance across the team to achieve success under pressure.
- Eligible for security clearance to a minimum of Security Check (SC) level with no caveats.
- Full driving license. This role is office-based with regular travel between CSS sites.
Here's a breakdown of what to expect during the application process for this role:
… After graduation, my job search focused on finding work and I focused on the defense sector. While looking at Ultra, it was clear they were a company I wanted to learn more about to discover where I might fit in.
In my first impressions, it was the people who convinced me to join. Everyone seemed to feel they were part of a team, working together to produce successful products.
My co-workers are glad to teach what they know and explain their work, as Ultra has a great atmosphere for learning informally. The technical knowledge I’m applying, along with the communication and teamwork here, allow people to express their knowledge and use it towards successful projects.
Working at Ultra is helping me develop the skills which will lead me to possess the technical aptitude and leadership abilities to function as a project lead or enter into a managerial role…
UK UltraSelect Benefits
As a UK employee you are offered company paid life assurance and membership of a contributory pension scheme as part of UltraSelect, the Group's flexible benefits scheme. Each year Ultra offers a SAYE scheme for all employees. UltraSelect offers important benefits flexibility for all UK employees by giving you the opportunity to consider how you wish to receive your benefits package from the company.