Role: Summer Intern – Engineering (3 Month Placement)
Business: Ultra Electronics Precision Control Systems
Ultra Electronics Precision Control Systems is an operating business of Ultra Electronics and is a leading developer of mission and safety critical equipment in the aerospace and defence industries. We support our military and civil aerospace customers by providing innovative electronic, electro-mechanical and pneumatic solutions that meet operational, reliability and environmental needs for safety critical and high integrity applications. We also provide equipment for modern military land vehicles that improve their reliability and performance whilst reducing the burden on their operators and maintainers.
Innovative engineers, skilled project managers and experienced manufacturing personnel are critical to the ongoing success of the business, both in developing innovative design solutions and responding to the ever changing demands of Industry. As part of our ongoing search for, and development of, motivated and enthusiastic team members, we offer a structured undergraduate internship programme comprising 1-month, 3 month and 12 month placements.
Under this vacancy, we are looking for enthusiastic Engineering Undergraduates to undertake a 3-month internship (June / July – August / September 2020) with the potential to lead to a further 12-month internship during later years and / or graduate placement upon completion of your degree. These internships are open to applicants from any engineering discipline, who can demonstrate how their skills complement the mechanical, pneumatic, electronic, software, systems and safety critical products we develop.
The role will be based in our modern Cheltenham offices where you will be supported and challenged by our highly qualified and experienced engineers from all disciplines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- We will match your engineering skills to our projects and products, then expect you to undertake engineering tasks to deliver updates and developments in support of internal and customer programmes. Specific projects will depend upon your experience and the business needs, but could include updating mechanical component designs, developing new electronics systems, software and test equipment or evaluating the impact of new technologies.
- You will be required to work as part of an engineering team, communicate effectively with others and collaborate to solve problems
- You will be required to work within the overall engineering processes of the business, including participation in engineering life cycle reviews, internal meetings and reporting.
- Working toward a degree in a relevant engineering discipline, including but not limited to: Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Systems Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering or Control Engineering
- Enthusiasm and a willingness to develop during the scheme
- Demonstrate a willingness to change focus and priorities with the needs of the business
What you can expect from us…..
- Challenging and interesting work
- Clear guidance and feedback
- Development in the form of Technical, Commercial and Interpersonal skills
Here's a breakdown of what to expect during the application process for this role:
…After completing 24 years of military service, I was keen to find employment with a progressive technology company.
Ultra Electronics is without doubt at the forefront of providing digital recording solutions and this is one of the main reasons that the work as a Project Engineer within the company is so demanding but also very rewarding.
I have enjoyed several overseas trips to oversee the installation and training of systems for which I have been responsible. The travel has also helped in further developing the relationships the company has with the customers, agents and suppliers across the world.
Colleagues within the company are always very supportive and there is always a good feeling of team spirit within all sections of Ultra…
UK UltraSelect Benefits
As a UK employee you are offered company paid life assurance and membership of a contributory pension scheme as part of UltraSelect, the Group's flexible benefits scheme. Each year Ultra offers a SAYE scheme for all employees. UltraSelect offers important benefits flexibility for all UK employees by giving you the opportunity to consider how you wish to receive your benefits package from the company.