Innovating today for safer tomorrow
We are looking for a talented Capability Manager (Naval Sonar) to grow the Ultra Maritime Naval Sonars Capability through leading existing and new product development.
Here you will define Ultra’s strategy in this area according to market forces and customer needs, and generate product roadmaps and plans for the Naval Sonar product lines.
The ideal candidate will provide Naval Sonar subject matter expertise to support bids and programmes and help define relevant development projects in terms of technical goals and work packages.
We trust and empower each other, we love to celebrate success and we win as a team. Together, we embrace change and we’re never satisfied until we’ve done what we said we’d do. So naturally, you will provide mentoring and leadership to support and grow in-house skills and capability.
Equally, deliver Design Authority oversight to Naval Sonar programmes, to ensure products and systems are fit for purpose, safe to use, and in-line with product roadmaps and the company strategic roadmap.
Key Responsibilities as a Capability Manager
Capability Managers are responsible for ensuring that all company offerings align with the company strategic plan and that technology and product roadmaps are developed and maintained. This includes but is not limited to:
- Ensuring that the Naval Sonar product roadmaps evolve and remain in concert with the market’s requirements and the company’s strategic objectives.
- Capability planning and development of roadmaps to ensure that the Capability Area meets the relevant Ultra Sonar Systems strategic objectives.
- Identifying competitive and technical threats to the successful realisation of the Ultra Sonar Systems strategy and mitigate these where possible within the Capability Area.
- Supporting the sales and marketing team in the identifying and development of new opportunities within the Naval Sonar domain.
- Support the Sales and Marketing team at customer focused events and conferences with domain expertise.
- Maintain technical knowledge, skills relevance and domain expertise through research and attendance at key domain conferences.
- Engineering aspects of bids and proposals within the Naval Sonar Domain.
- Identifying opportunities for, and securing external R&D funding to develop the product portfolio and ensure that business objectives are satisfied.
- Performing a System Design Authority role on nominated projects.
- Ensuring internal R&D projects within the Naval Sonar Domain has maximum benefit to the business and ensure it satisfies its technical business objectives.
- Determining resource requirements for R&D, Bids & Proposals (B&P) and future B&P / orders and feeding these into the forward load;
- Providing coaching and mentoring to develop engineering competence within the business.
- Identifying, developing and implementing new or appropriate process and procedure improvements, to meet current and emergent engineering requirements in line with the business strategic vision and engineering best practice.
- Liaise with other Capability Managers to ensure strategic competitive technological alignment within Ultra capabilities and product sets.
Skills, Qualification and Experience as a Capability Manager
- Degree in a relevant subject (Engineering or Computer Science) or equivalent qualification / experience.
- Experience in the operation and development of Naval Sonar Systems is essential.
- Experience in the application of Safety/Compliance and Security in systems integration and Military Security Domains.
- Experience and ability to be customer focused and author technical bid proposals is essential.
- Significant experience across all areas of the Systems Engineering lifecycle, with SDA experience desirable.
- Appreciation of software, electrical, electronic and mechanical engineering.
- Able to travel to UK and worldwide destinations when required.
- System Design Authority Experience.
- Product Line Management Experience.
Every employee is critical to our success and as such we offer a range of flexible employee benefits along with career development opportunities.
The Weymouth office has free parking and local transport links. In addition you will receive:
- Flexible working within core working hours
- 25 days’ holiday with the option to buy/sell 5 days plus bank holidays.
- 4 times your annual salary in life assurance
- Flexible benefits package (benefits such as, new car scheme, retail vouchers, gym discounts, employee share scheme, health screening and more!)
- Pension Scheme
Applicants will be required to meet SC level clearance
How to Apply
If you believe you have the skills and experience required to join our team then please click apply and upload your CV now.
Here at Ultra we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusivity. Underpinned by our values, behaviours and policies, we want you to feel empowered to be the best version of yourself. We also believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures will increase our diversity of thinking, ensuring we continue to successfully deliver to our customers.
We therefore do not discriminate on the basis of; age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible.
Please note, once you have completed your application this will be reviewed by our Talent Acquisition team. On occasions we may close roles earlier than the advertised closing date based on the quality of applications received. We encourage you to submit your application as soon as you are ready to. We look forward to hearing from you shortly.