We have solved complex problems for over 100 years and we’re just getting started!
We have exciting new opportunities for an Analysts seeking a new challenge. We are experiencing growth in its Distributed Anti-Submarine Warfare (D-ASW) and Naval Sonar segments across a range of innovative new products at different levels of maturity and requires additional analyst to develop the next generation of its Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) solutions.
Our Analysts are involved throughout the project lifecycle from conceiving new product ideas and capabilities to gaining customer approval of delivered solutions and insertion of capability enhancement to in service solutions.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing team and work on many exciting programmes pushing the boundaries of ASW capabilities from the R&D stages through to deployment. You will have the opportunity to develop your engineering skills across the whole lifecycle in the underwater warfare and maritime domains.
- Developing sonar/acoustics processing algorithms based on the application of established digital signal processing approaches
- Selecting appropriate algorithmic techniques based upon performance requirements developed with the system design team from the customer specification
- Developing algorithms with implementation in mind (segmentation/simplification/parallelisation)
- Documenting algorithm specification and design decisions/implications/discussions
- Supporting the implementation, debugging and verification of algorithms in software, including the generation of appropriate test data
Performance Modelling, Design Trade-offs and Product Development
- Modelling algorithm performance under a wide range of realistic underwater conditions
- Modelling sonar/acoustic performance against customer requirements for the inclusion in bid responses
- Quantifying the impact of Sonar System Design decisions to the Sonar System performance, hence guiding cost effective approaches to this decision making process.
- Developing ideas for new approaches to Sonar products to improve their capability individually and collectively embracing new technologies or approaches
Support to Trials
- Analysing Trials data, assessing against system performance requirements
- Reporting on Trails Data analysis drawing clear conclusions on both the success of the trials and the sonar system against its performance requirements
Skills, Qualification and Experience
- Hold a relevant Bachelor’s (higher degree preferred) in Physics, Mathematics (other STEM degrees will be considered if required skillset can be demonstrated);
- Significant commercial experience in one or more of the following areas and its application within the sonar domain (or other similar domains), with exposure to the others:
- Digital Signal Processing Algorithm Definition
- Trials Data Analysis
- Performance Prediction Modelling
- Performance Requirement interpretation and analysis
- Experience in communicating complicated topics clearly and concisely to expert and non-expert audiences
- Proficient in the use of mathematic/scientific modelling tools e.g. MATLAB
- Experience of being able to set and meet deadline
- Problem Solver – Enjoys the challenge of dealing with the unknown and working through a solution
- Communicator – Able to converse with expert and non-expert colleagues and inform and guide them working collaboratively, bringing customer along with chosen approaches in formal, informal, verbal and written formats
- Decision Maker – Able to decide where a design trade-off is appropriate or where sufficient confidence has been generated that a requirement has been verified
- Methodical – Able to break down complex problems and organized significant volumes of information into manageable blocks of analysis on focused pieces of information
- Creative – Looks for opportunities to improve the way we do things including the application of emerging technologies such as big data and machine learning to Sonar or using more efficient tools or processes to reduce lifecycle timescales
- Inquisitive – Strives to increase knowledge of mathematical theories and new processing techniques and how these are applied in novel technologies.
Every employee is critical to our success and as such we offer a range of flexible employee benefits along with career development opportunities.
The office has free parking and local transport links. In addition you will receive:
- Flexible working within core working hours
- 25 days’ holiday with the option to buy/sell 5 days plus bank holidays.
- 4 times your annual salary in life assurance
- Flexible benefits package (benefits such as, new car scheme, retail vouchers, gym discounts, employee share scheme, health screening and more!)
- Pension Scheme
Empowering you to reach your full potential
We trust and empower each other, we love to celebrate success and we win as a team. Together, we embrace change and we’re never satisfied until we’ve done what we said we’d do
Applicants will be required to meet SC clearance
Here at Ultra we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusivity. Underpinned by our values, behaviours and policies, we want you to feel empowered to be the best version of yourself. We also believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures will increase our diversity of thinking, ensuring we continue to successfully deliver to our customers.
We therefore do not discriminate on the basis of; age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible.